Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Training for the Fells Trail Ultra Winter 40 Miler

After I ran the TARC Fall Classic Race in October, I took a few days off and tried to get into some consistent training for the TARC Fells Trail Ultra Winter 40 Miler. I had planned for this to be my last long race of 2014, and decided that a few 50-60 mile weeks were attainable given my schedule at work and home. Planning to throw some speedwork in the weekly runs, I wanted to get in as much quality miles as I could.

The chart below shows what I could put together in the limited amount of time before the upcoming race. I don't run very high mileage partly due to the amount of time I have, and partly because I have found that quality works better for me rather than quantity.



Week thru
Mileage
Elevation(ft.)
Key Workout(s)
October 26
31.1
2,989
No workout, easy recovery week
November 2
52.9
5,200
November 9
59.1
9,682
November 16
51
7,133
November 23
43.9
7,690
November 30
23
3,481


The tapering began last week and I can't wait to get to run the Fells Skyline Trail again to attain some personal redemption from last year's DNF. I shouldn't put too much thought into it, but I feel like I could have done well last year and dropped for purely mental reasons. I'm hoping to perform okay this Saturday at the race and complete the 5 loops of 8 miles each. There is some tough competition out there and my plan is to just run a good consistent pace and hopefully complete it somewhere around 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment