Monday, May 20, 2013

28th Annual Worcester Walk/Run for Homeless 5k Race Report

walk for homeless worcester
 I first heard about the Annual Walk for the Homeless's new 5k race this year after reading an article in the Worcester Telegram. The article listed one of the funding beneficiaries as a local building renovation project that I am involved with the design and construction of at my work, the St. John's Food for the Poor. Even though I don't typically run roads or 5k races, I decided to sign up for the run because I felt the money would go to a good cause and benefit the many programs assisting the city's homeless population.
st. john's parish center 5k
Lining up at the starting line
The race started at 2pm, which is much different than the normal early morning starts I am used to. I spent the whole morning thinking about the race and getting myself psyched up for it. I had no idea how many people would be running it, or who, and I am definitely not accustomed to the fast, flat runs that are over quickly but leave me gasping for air from the get go. After some nice words from the organizers of the event, I lined up at the front of the pack and took off quickly to begin the race. I ended up beginning the first mile of the race in the top three and just tried to settle into some sort of pace that I thought I could hold for the duration. I ran just in front of a female that runs cross-country for the first mile. At the first mile marker, I looked at my watch which read 6:08 and I figured I was going a little too quick. I slowed up a bit and she passed, but I tried to keep within a few hundred feet of her. My plan for the rest of the race was to see if I could just hang on and speed it up at the end.

The next few miles went by quickly, and soon I was coming down past Doherty high school to get within a half mile of the finish. I saw that the runner I spent almost the entire race behind was slowing down, so I took my opportunity at the last bend around Elm Park and passed her to sprint to the finish. I ran the fastest 5k that I have run to date and finished at 19 minutes 24 seconds, full results here. I am pleased with the time and it definitely reminds me that I need to fit more speedwork into the training schedule. After the race I got to do a cool down run with my 2 year old and he ended up getting a face painting from one of the volunteers. It was a good day with the family.

central mass striders
Next up will be the TARC 100 pacing for Justin Contois for the last 25 miles on June 14-15th. Then I am planning a Pressie Traverse or Pemi Loop for 4th of July weekend. After that is the Bear Brook Marathon in Bear Brook State Park, NH.

3 comments:

  1. Great race man!! Like you mentioned, those short races hurt. I'd even say more so than the ultra stuff. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had a good time! I was more nervous for the 5k than the 50 on the Wapack and it made me completely out of breath the whole time.

      Delete
  2. I'm creating a poster to encourage students and others to help out our community and other communities. May i please recommend this website to people who are runners/walkers and are looking to travel to help others?

    ReplyDelete